HOW TO DO IT:
CAUTION: Stop doing the breathing exercises if you feel dizzy, breathless or feel any other negative effects. To lessen dizziness or negative effects, only practice the breathing techniques for two or three cycles (a breath in and out is one cycle) until you become skilled then you can practice progressively using more cycles.
- is using your diaphragm muscle for inhalation and maintaining at least an equal ratio of time for inhalation (air in)and exhalation(air out)
PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT BREATHING
6 BREATHS PER MINUTE
3 COUNTS IN HOLD 1-2 COUNTS -5 COUNTS OUT
Like a roller coaster, easy effortless and rhythmical
- is holding your breath
- Hyperventilating (taking more time breathing air in (inhalation) than breathing air out (exhalation). Leads to increased anxiety DEER in the Headlights
- using chest and upper back muscles instead of the diaphragm
- forcing air in or out rather than letting the air naturally move
DIAPHRAGM (DEEP) BREATHING
The diaphragm muscle under the rib cage is what most effectively controls breathing Most of their breathing is coming from the upper abdominal region. If your stomach comes out (like a balloon) when you bring the air in (shoulders stay down)
Using your chest and upper back muscles causes muscle tension which is related to fatigue, muscle tension headaches, and feelings of anxiety. When under heavy exercise, the body will automatically call upon the chest and upper back muscles as needed.
BREATHING EXERCISES FOR RELAXATION
Slow down your breathing rate. Instead of 3 counts in and 3 counts out, gradually make it 5 in and 5 out. Begin by only doing two or three cycles at a time.
- Practice breathing with one hand on upper abdominal region and the other hand on the opposite shoulder or you can place a heavy book on the stomach area when lying down. Try to make most of the movement from the abdominal region with very little movement across the chest or under the upper arm and hand.
- Your ribs will expand out at the side as you become more skilled
- Temperature Focused Breathing – Inhale air in through your nose allowing yourself to feel the cool sensations of the oxygen and energy as it moves through your nose down into your lungs. Exhale through your mouth feeling the warmth and moisture of the air as it passes over your tongue, lips. Continue this breathing pattern fully feeling and being aware of the temperature sensations
PRACTICE FOR PERFORMANCE DO YOUR BREATHING 10 TIMES/PER DAY LOG IT